Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I think it's Day 21...

Just a quick post to update you. Pictures will come up later this week, hopefully.

I made it to Bangkok without incident on Sunday night. Monday I ran some errands and saw Jim Thompson's house, a feat of traditional Thai architecture that was the home of American entrepreneur Jim Thompson. He apparently single-handedly opened the global export market for Thai silk. He was also a pretty impressive collector of Asian art.

Nick arrived Tuesday and we headed pretty much immediately to Wat Arun, one of the most picturesque temples in Bangkok. We took a river taxi and a ferry to get there (it's on the Thonburi side of the main river running through Bangkok). Then we met up with Dan for dinner and a stroll through the Lumphini Park Night Bazaar. Nick had crocodile for dinner!

Today we went to the Grand Palace and its wat, Wat Phra Kaew (containing the Emerald Buddha), as well as Wat Pho (which contains the world's largest reclining Buddha -- I think he was reclining as he attained nirvana). A lot of great sights (and lots of pictures soon). Tonight we have a low-key evening, and tomorrow we head to the islands.

No comments: